15. august is a special day in Copenhagen: for the first time in its history, there will be a full Ironman race in the town
And at the moment there are hundreds of danish as well as foreigners tappering down to be ready for the race. I will not be with myself this year, but ofcourse I will be around “hepping” for all my good friends that are either racing for the 1 place or racing to get through the Ironman.
So are you ready for the race? Dont worry, maybe you dont feel like that yet, and you should not either, there are still some days to go for the race, so that day you better be ready Before that you will for sure feel yourself tired, and you will for sure doubt many times during the coming days, if you can get through the Ironman. Yes you can, just say it yourself, and here you get 12 tips for your mental are physical preparing:
– sleep a lot the coming days before the race; you need this after all the training you did, and for the race day
– leave coffee and other drinks with coffein; this is the way to sleep even better. if you just cannot, allow yourself just one enjoyable cup in the morning
– eat normally; and healthy; fish, meat, vedgetables, fruits, like you always do, dont overeat
– dont get sick! Stay away from the sick peaople and crowds, where there might be sick people, dont risk anything
– couple of days before “the day” start drinking a bit more than normally, and add salt in your food. To keep the sodium levels in balance for the raceday
– check your equipment in good time; is your bike ok, your swimgoggles, or your sunclasses. You still can make it by changing somehing, if you have to, but now it is your last change!
– dont even plan to try any new tricks in the race; like running without socks, or taking a brand new pair of running shoes in use
– dont use any new equipment in the race day, like brand new clothes, but always somehing you know and have trained in before
– check where the aid stations are both in the ride and run, decide if you need to run with a drinking belt or not
– dont leavy anything for the last 2 days before the race, be ready already in the beginning of the week
– believe into your training you did, dont “try” to swim/bike/run more that your plan says for the week
– do the race mentally; in your head again and again, be ready for the day
And remember, dont panic; not in the swim start, not if you get a flat, not if you get upset stomach after swim. Stay calm, stay cool, you trained a hole year for this, so shoot in the race day!
It is all about getting to the start line – be there – good luck!